Outdoor cinema, night markets, art installations and performance spaces are coming to the Brisbane Powerhouse.
Lord Mayor Adrian Schrinner said Brisbane Powerhouse is one of the city’s greatest cultural assets, and that this investment would deliver more to see and do for residents and visitors.
“We want to ensure this precinct continues to evolve and this new line up of events will support our arts economy and excite art and entertainment seekers,” Cr Schrinner said.
“The Powerhouse is a must-visit destination for tourists as well as a treasure for locals.”
Brisbane Powerhouse CEO/Artistic Director Kate Gould said the introduction of new outdoor events were made possible with the support of Brisbane City Council and the Australian Government’s Restart Investment to Sustain and Expand (Rise) Fund.
“We are grateful to Brisbane City Council for backing our vision to revitalise Brisbane Powerhouse and its environs,” Ms Gould said.
“Brisbane Powerhouse will bring art outside, creating a series of external venues for performance, film, and feasting.”
Here’s what’s coming up at the Brisbane Powerhouse:
- An immense and immersive artwork of glass, steel, mirrors and moving prisms, visitors will navigate through a maze of corridors.
- Opening 12 August 2022 – 3 October 2022 on the Performance Lawn.
- The year-round cinema will feature blockbusters, arthouse screenings, film festivals and concerts combining film and live performance.
- Opening Spring 2022 in front of the Brisbane Powerhouse’s Stores Building.
- Brisbane’s newest alfresco theatre and event space can seat up to 360 people for private events or performances from concerts and cabaret to stand-up comedy and circus.
- Opening October 2022 on the Performance Lawn.
Hap Wah Night Market
- The market is a month-long celebration of food and art.
- Launching in early 2023, it will be staged twice a year in March and October.