Historic New Farm Park remains the most popular destination to book a wedding, party or other event in a Brisbane park.
Almost 1300 events were held at New Farm Park in the past 12 months, with the park’s famed rotunda booked 844 times, making it Brisbane’s most-booked park destination.
Lord Mayor Adrian Schrinner said: “Almost every day of the year, New Farm Park is the destination for someone’s special day.”
“Whether it’s for an Instagram snap or professional wedding photograph, New Farm Park is the perfect back drop.
“Once a place of a convict settlement and later a racecourse, Council acquired the land in 1913 to create a city park, planting more than 500 trees, including 100 Jacarandas.
“The historic rotunda was built in 1915 at a cost £359 ($627 today) and was once a bandstand.”
New Farm Park was opened in 1919, with 2500 rose bushes planted thirty years later in 1950.
Cr Schrinner said it is estimated that up to 7000 rose plants are now scattered through the park.
Other destinations that were popular for park bookings included City Botanic Gardens, Brisbane Botanic Gardens at Mt Coot-tha, Rocks Riverside Park and Calamvale District Park.
Top 10 most popular parks based on council enquiries:
- New Farm Park – 1284
- City Botanic Gardens – 694
- Brisbane Botanic Gardens Mt Coot-tha – 679
- Rocks Riverside Park – Seventeen Mile Rocks – 335
- Calamvale District Park – 234
- Kangaroo Point Cliffs Park – Lower River Terrace – 187
- Newstead Park – 141
- Musgrave Park – South Brisbane – 138
- Orleigh Park – West End – 105
- The Lake Parklands – Forest Lake – 92
BCC’s New Farm Park booking numbers:
- Rotunda – 844
- River View – 176
- Powerhouse View – 103
- Ferry View – 62
- All booking sites, all day – 13