When Max Strickland designed and built Coronet Court in 1933, it was hailed as “exclusive” and “ultramodern”. Its “arresting beauty and dignity” stood out from the timber and tin of surrounding New Farm like a neon light on a dark street.

But when developers came calling 60 years later, they could only see the spectacular nine-apartment anachronism for its prime location.

They didn’t care about the exquisite original fittings, grand galleried staircase, leadlight feature windows or how the huge bay windows framed New Farm Park across the road.

view more